Distortionary Dialogues
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Distortionary Dialogues

Questions and quandaries to catalyze abstract or atypical thinking. All manner of responses welcomed.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Holographic Principle

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Holographic Principle Empty The Holographic Principle Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:02 am

Confidant1

There was a time where I was obsessed with this... maybe 2012... I even gave a very confusing presentation on this in a class where we were instructed to present any topic we wanted (beautifully, the two presenters before me presented on some metaphysical properties of triangles and crystals)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPNJ0g2U5hU

Here are some bullet points from my ~5 presentation (lol idk why I chose this subject):

-2nd law of thermodynamics: the entropy of an isolated system is always increasing

-Entropy is a measurement of the amount of information needed to describe an object and also the amount of ways an object can be arranged while still looking the same.

-The holographic principle asserts that all the information for a 3 dimensional world can be stored on a 2 dimensional surface.

-Questions:

-What is the source of illumination for this “hologram?”
-What object in the universe has the ability to store such a large amount of information?
-Where is this 2D information stored?
-To hold large amounts of information in a relatively small area the object in question must contain a large amount of
entropy.

-A black hole has maximum entropy

-As objects enter a black hole will be “destroyed”

-But the energy/information of the object that enters the black hole is stored on the event horizon
The event horizon grows in a way that is proportional to the surface area of the object.

-Contrary to all expectations, it brings its microscopic
quantum structure within reach of current experiments,” says Hogan. So
while the Planck length is too small for experiments to detect, the
holographic “projection” of that graininess could be much, much larger,
at around 10-16 metres. “If you lived inside a hologram, you could tell by measuring the blurring,” he says.

-Gravitational wave detectors like GEO600 are essentially
 fantastically sensitive rulers. The idea is that if a gravitational
wave passes through GEO600, it will alternately stretch space in one
direction and squeeze it in another. To measure this, the GEO600 team
fires a single laser through a half-silvered mirror called a beam
splitter. This divides the light into two beams, which pass down the 
instrument’s 600-metre perpendicular arms and bounce back again. The
returning light beams merge together at the beam splitter and create an
interference pattern of light and dark regions where the light waves
either cancel out or reinforce each other. Any shift in the position of
those regions tells you that the relative lengths of the arms has
changed. (http://scienceblogs.com/purepedantry/2009/01/16/evidence-for-the-holographic-p/)

BOW DOWN TO OUR BLACK HOLE RULERS!!!!!!!!

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum